Friday, March 25, 2011

The Contest

Paul Lukas at ESPN’s UNI WATCH has published an article featuring the story of how those super hip White Sox uniforms of my childhood came into being. It’s kind of funny because I was just talking the other day about how they arrived via a fan contest. Anyway, the article goes into some detail, and I recommend the read.

It got me thinking of my uniform preference. I’ve always attributed the place the mid-eighties uniforms hold in my heart to pure timing. It was during those years that I first started to form my taste for baseball. Naturally those unis call to mind the cliché memories of innocent youth complete with a Cub hatred that hadn’t yet fully formed, despite my already existent south side preference. I don’t think my age group is unique in a fondness for the white, blue and red S-O-X double knits. Anyone alive at the time, regardless of age, had to have felt a huge wave of relief just to see the collared jobs go away. There is no doubt that the pullovers worn from 82 until about 86 are my favorites. Rounding out my top 3, though, are two more looks that were worn over the years that create pretty much my entire fanhood.

The diagonal S-O-X is easy to identify with. It’s a resurrected logo that we’ve been varying on since the early 1950’s. We've been sporting it in black, white and sometimes gray since 1991 and still rock it today. It also represents the 2005 World Series winning team, which surely makes it look a bit better to Sox fans. One might refer to it as our “classic” look. They’re simple, they’re easy on the eyes and carry a feeling of tradition.

It’s hard to say when the cursive lettering started showing up with the red and blue color scheme. I say this because the WhiteSox.com Uniform History has decided for some strange reason to pretend they didn’t exist. My memory, though respectable, doesn’t go back in enough detail to recall an exact year for the change. The seasons in question, though being worn around by not terribly impressive Sox teams, excepting the 1990 squad, are also a look that I just identify with childhood, and therefore appreciate.

An honorable mention to these 70’s uniforms. Kind of just because this picture of Dick Allen is pretty awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment